The membership of the RRLC consists of area libraries working together to improve programs and services to library users. There are four levels of membership: Full, Associate, Affiliate and Patron. Our Annual Report explains more about the Council and its activities, and the document "Minimum Standards and/or Requirements for Libraries Seeking RRLC Membership" lists membership criteria.
Examples of RRLC membership benefits for Full, Associate or Affiliate members include (some restrictions apply) :
- Participation in the five-county, 450 library resource sharing network
- Access to free or discounted online electronic resources such as WorldCat, the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle, and the NOVEL databases - EBSCO, Gale Databases, and others
- Participation in the RRLC Continuing Education Program (over 100 programs per year to choose from -- most free of charge)
- Free publications such as Guide to Local History and Archives Collections in the Genesee Valley
- Professional networking
- Eligibility for grants to enhance library services
In order to become a member of RRLC, libraries should contact the Council office at 585-223-7570. Libraries seeking to become members are asked to complete an Application Form and arrange for an on-site visit to their library by the RRLC Membership Committee or RRLC staff. After successful completion of these steps, the application for membership is presented to the RRLC Advisory Committee of Library Directors and the RRLC Board of Trustees. (These governing bodies meet and consider applications along with other business, six times a year.)
Membership dues are dependent on the total library budget.
RRLC also has a Patron Membership category that is designed for individuals who are not affiliated with any RRLC member library. The cost of Patron Membership is $25 per year. Click here for more information on Patron Membership.